— Questions & Details —
- What’s the difference between Launch and a traditional website creation process?
Making a web site the “old fashioned way” is great – we’ve been doing it for years and still work on a number of custom web site projects each month. However, for many people custom projects take too much time or cost too much money. Launch is a better option for people who find themselves in that place.
Launch is significantly less expensive than a traditional web design process (our base price for a custom project is currently $4,000 and usually ends closer to $5,000), compared to the $1,499 (only $1,099 if you register early) cost to attend Launch.
Launch is also a seriously fast option to get a web site up and running. Typically a custom designed site will take between 2-4 months to complete – a far cry from the 2 days you’ll spend at Launch before you’re live online.
Finally, Launch empowers you to get hands on with your web site. We find that many of our custom clients are apprehensive about using their web site management system (even though they could), because they never got their hands on it during the creation process. Launch gives you the confidence to do it yourself – to work with your own hands, and to make mistakes and see for yourself that nothing explodes! The more you work with your web site, the more confident you’ll feel when you need it to grow with you in the future.
- Who is Launch for, and who isn’t Launch for?
Launch is intended for people/companies/organizations who need a quality, beautiful web site at an affordable price and don’t mind learning new things and stretching themselves to make it happen. Launch works best with individuals and organizations that have a vision for what they want or need out of a web site, but if you’re unsure about your needs, our pre-event homework will help get you up to speed.
If you’re not tech-savvy, fear not! This process work with anyone who has basic/everyday computer skills and is willing to learn! We’ll work with you and ensure you get the attention you need to feel comfortable creating and maintaining your site. If you are tech-savvy, well… great! We’ll show you advanced techniques and help you get comfortable learning what areas you can further customize.
The web sites we create at Launch are static/basic, in the sense that they primarily are intended to contain simple information about the company/individual/organization. If you’re wanting to create the next big social network or a powerful app with user management or complex functionality, Launch isn’t the best fit for you (don’t worry – we work on those kind of projects also!). But if you need a relatively basic web site with information about your organization or any of the features mentioned below, you’re an ideal candidate for Launch!
- What types of features can I include on my Launch-built site?
The following is not an exhaustive list, but represents the type of functionality that can easily be included on your Launch site:
- Beautifully-presented information about your organization
- Mobile-friendly web sites that look good on any sized device
- Slideshows, photos, and video
- Basic e-commerce using PayPal standard to process payments
- Contact forms or any other type of online form
- Calendars / Events
- Google Maps
- Lead generation / calls to action
- Social media integration
- Search Engine Optimization
- What system will you use to build web sites at Launch?
We’ll be building web sites using WordPress as the back-end system. WordPress is a powerful but simple-to-use web site management system that powers over 30% of all web sites on the Internet, and it’s perfect for the type of web site’s we’ll build at Launch. If you need a more powerful system, we also build fully custom WordPress-powered web sites.
- Are there any other costs?
Your only other expense will be a small monthly fee to “host” your site online – this monthly fee also covers basic system updates. Think of this as renting space in the Internet to keep your site up and running. This cost is $30 / month.
- What about domain names?
If you already have a domain name, we can use it on your new Launch-created web site. If not, no problem – we’ll help you register a domain name of your choosing for free as part of your Launch registration (after the first year, the cost to renew that domain is $20 / year).
- What should I bring with me?You’ll want to make sure you have the following on your person when you arrive Launch:
- A laptop computer and power cord – a mouse is usually helpful as well (Mac computers are highly preferable, even if you have to bring and set up an iMac). Right-clicking is often required in the web site creation process, so bring a mouse if you’re not comfortable right clicking on a your laptop’s trackpad.
- Your branding and content homework (sent to you when you register) should be completed in full before you arrive – this is a requirement, because you can’t start designing your site until this is finished – seriously!
- Wear or bring clothes (you can change if you’d like) that you want to be photographed in for your new headshots, and bring along any other things you need to look your best!
- A notebook to take notes during the instruction portions
- Any snacks or drinks you’d like (if you want special attention, just bring something to share!)
- Should I already have a logo?
A logo is extremely helpful to work with in designing a new web site. If you already have a logo, great (be sure to bring it with you in its original/raw file format – in other words, bring the best version of the file that you have). If you don’t have a logo, we’d offer a logo design add-on that can be completed prior to Launch (select the Logo Add-On package when you register, or contact us). If you choose not to have a logo, that’s fine too – just know that it may impact the tone of your web site.
- What if I need custom features on my web site, such as a shopping cart, accounts/registration, or other custom functionality?
If you need advanced functionality on your web site, talk with us before registering for Launch. We’ll consider your needs and let you know if Launch is a good fit for you, or if it would be better for us to partner on an individual design project with you.
- Will there be future Launch workshops?
You bet! We’re planning Launch workshops several times each year. Stay tuned to the Launch page for future dates.